Wednesday 4 February 2015

Frustrated vendor

It's not my work mates that are frustrating me this week. It's estate agents. I have had my house for sale for while. In fact it's been quite a while and I'm getting totally fed up with it all . It's a lovely home a country cottage. But it's to big for us now and I feel like a change. The thing is as with all things you can view on line. But this house you have to view in person to appreciate the charms. We have one major stumbling block it appears the terraced garden is a problem. I love the garden it's a real sun trap and I've enjoyed pottering around over the years I've lived there.
After a while on the market we decided in conjunction with the estate agent that we would have our photographs professionally taken. Together with the photographer it was decided that the lead photograph would be from the bottom of the garden up to the house. We all felt that this would alleviate viewings when the people would come to view loved the house but hate the fact that the garden is not flat.
Last week we had a viewing the estate agent was full of .... enthusiasm (you thought I was going to be rude there!!)  "This could be it " I was told. "they have admired your house on line for months and now they have an offer on their property they would like to view" I was so excited. In my imagination they were going to be blown away and the SOLD sign was going to be proudly displayed at last. If they had viewed the property on line they knew the garden is terraced all I had to do was present the property and Bobs your uncle - sorted.
I decided I should be at home for the viewing. Not a scenario I enjoy, but I thought this is the most expensive thing I own I should be home to answer any questions and get things moving fast.
The viewers arrived I had been told it was a man from away. In reality it was three local people. The response was totally luke warm. Not the reaction I expected. I had cleaned the house for three hours laid the table to look inviting and the heating ensured we were toasty warm. In less than ten minutes they had been and gone. I was gutted. I was having a hard week and could hardly spare the time and energy I had expended on this viewing. I wanted to give the estate agent a piece of my mind. BUT I didn't. I left it for twenty four hours so I could calm down. The next day I calmly e-mailed the estate agent to inform him of my disappointment. His response astounded me "actually Nicki, they loved the house and would have put an offer in there and then, BUT the garden was too steep." I couldn't believe what I was hearing either the estate agent is making this up  or people are far more stupid than I had feared. I am at a total loss of how to convey the beauty of this garden and home to save myself having to go through this any more.

No comments: