Thursday 10 September 2009

Is there a man about?

I am asked this question at least once a day "is there a man about?" I want to say "no but if there was he would probably be an idiot and absolutely no good to you so can I help?" but I don't. When I first started in this trade it was definately a mans world, but I was hoping that things had moved on a bit, but they haven't. Last week my other half and I were working in the shop and in came a mans man. This is the type of man that thinks a woman is just for decoration and cooking his tea so it was obvious to him I wouldn't be able to help him, so he walked past me and started to talk to the other half. Now if he had bothered to stop and talk to me I could have told him if you want your flooring fitted he's your man, because I can't even lift the tool box. But if you want help with your selection and how much it's going to cost etc. he 'aint got a clue. Any how I finally convinced this nice chap that he really wanted me to serve him and off we went to discuss his requirements. As usual he wanted to purchase the best product available but didn't want to spend any money, and flooring really isn't rocket science the more money you spend the better the product you get. So being a frugal man he decided our stock vinlyl was what he wanted to purchase. "o.k Love" he said "I'll come back when ...... one of my fellow co. workers ("idiot?") is here because he'll give me a good price! Delivery men are the same "hello love are there any boys about?" "NO" "oh well I can't get this off by my self where's your fork lift?" "we haven't got any boys, we haven't got a forklift SO JUST GET IT OFF!) and nine times out of ten they do.

No comments: