Saturday 9 January 2010

Not a great start to 2010

HELP! Tuesday lunchtime one of my part time assistants in the show room told me they had been offered a full time job they couldn't refuse. I understand completely that they have been offered a fabulous opportunity. But boy am I in the sh**. I now have to advertise the position and then IF a suitable applicant is found train them and then watch them for months to see if they are telling the customers the right information and showing the right products. It would be so much easier just to do it all myself. BUT I've done that for so many years I just don't want to go back there. Over the years I have had seven previous part timers. One didn't tell me she had had an illness that meant she had no short term memory, this meant you asked her to do something and before she got out the door it had been forgotten. One was always moving house and came to work one day in her slippers and told me if I wanted her to serve the customers I would need to lend her my jumper, because she couldn't find any of hers. Another threw a wobbler when the magic word NO was used when she asked for a day off. I've even had a Saturday morning assistant who was male and supposed to be there to help me carry the heavy stuff who was as much use as an handbrake on a canoe, so I used to carry it out myself! So I am so not looking forward to meeting the rabble who apply. I've done this before so I know how it will go. I will advertise the position and state apply in writing, because I know I can't handle the endless phone calls that will ensue from potential applicants or the extra foot fall from the ones who will just wander in. The position will be advertised on a Wednesday and Thursday Friday will be taken up answering the phone and speaking to people in person telling them to APPLY IN WRITING!! A few I hope will be suitable enough to interview. Then I will explain it's not like selling beans. There is a lot of product knowledge to take in and it's all maths working out the the M2 of the room and giving the price etc. plus you need to have a personality that is condusive to customer service and getting the sale.Hopefully after all this I am going to find a treasure who is going to fit all the critera required. If I don't it's just me again with between ten and fourteen hours per week assistance which is not much when I work at least forty three and a half hours per week. No more blogging at work for a while. I think I wont even have time to use the loo in peace. Please let me win the lottery tonight and then I wont have to worry about it.

No comments: